One of my new year resolutions is to start eating more natural, unprocessed foods and resist the temptation of opening a packet of sugar loaded cereal for breakfast. Bircher muesli is one of my favourite dishes on a summer brunch menu and is a healthy and delicious way to start the day. Invented by Swiss doctor Maximilian Bircher-Benner in the late nineteenth century for his patients, it is packed full of essential nutrients like fibre, essential fatty acids and antioxidants.
Here is a simple recipe to whip up a nutritious muesli in just under 10 minutes. The best thing about this recipe is its versatility – you can top it with poached fruit in winter or berries and honey in summer. It is best to soak the oats overnight, but if you are in a rush 1 hour will suffice.
You will need
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups of apple juice
- 1 cup of natural yoghurt plus extra to serve
- 2 apples
- 1/4 cup of slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup of currants
- 1/4 cup of toasted shredded coconut
- 4 pinches of ground cinnamon
- Additional mixed fruit, honey or nuts if desired
1. Combine oats, apple juice and yoghurt in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Peel and coarsely grate one apple and add to oat mixture with almonds, currants, coconut and cinnamon until well combined.
3. To serve, top muesli with sliced apples, extra yoghurt and berries if desired.
Lovely for a summer brekky Lisa. Thanks.
No worries! How are you settling in back in Perth? x
Bircher was one of my favourite discoveries in 2013 – I love it!
Me too! Have you tried making your own? x
Oh yes. Been my staple breakfast for the last half a year. So good! Plus you can vary it so much, fruit, nuts, yoghurt, etc!
Great to hear! And fairly healthy too, always a good start to the day.
This looks delicious- definitely a lovely healthy brekkie perfect for the Summer 🙂
and fairly healthy too! xx
Your point of view caught my eye and was very interesting. Thanks. I have a question for you. https://accounts.binance.com/es/register?ref=PORL8W0Z