Smashed avocado on toast has firmly entrenched itself on many brunch menus in Australia. Not that I am complaining, I love the stuff! But for a simple dish it’s pretty expensive. Affectionately known as “smashed avo on toast” this typical brunch treat is basically a mashed avocado, drizzled with lemon juice and seasoned with herbs and salt and pepper. Adding lemon juice to the mixture helps prevent oxidisation, so you can always prepare it hours before without the avocado browning. Here is a recipe I trialled at home with the addition of creamy feta. It’s a perfect light brunch option and doesn’t weigh you down like a heavy fry up. If you feel like something a bit more substantial, just add a side of mushrooms, tomatoes or a poached egg.
You will need
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 cup of good quality feta
- A generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Sourdough bread
- Chopped parsley or mint to garnish
1. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl, mashing it lightly with a fork. Add lemon juice, cumin and salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
2. Cut two thick slices of sourdough and toast until slightly golden. Top the toast with the mashed avocado mix and crumbled feta. Garnish with fresh parsley or mint and season further if required.
Tasty, i will try that for lunch today.
Hope you enjoyed 🙂
Mmmm, this sounds delicious! I just mash mine with a fork directly on top of lightly buttered toast and top with some sea salt and maybe red pepper flakes. This is definitely kicking it up a notch 😉
Still sounds delicious!! Have a nice weekend B xxx
This sounds good – one of my favourite weekend homemade brunches is sourdough toast, a heap of smashed avocado with a poached egg on top!
Yum! The perfect start to the morning x
Another yummy recipe to try. Happy new year to you all!
And to you too! Hope you are enjoying your time back in sunny Australia! xx
G’day! One word? YUM!
Happy New Year! Hope it is the best one yet!
And you too!! Let’s hope the sun comes out a bit more 🙂 x
Wow what a great idea the avocado mashed in with feta cheese on sour dough, talk about well combined tastes and texture. Wonderful.