Smashed avocado on toast has firmly entrenched itself on many brunch menus in Australia. Not that I am complaining, I love the stuff! But for a simple dish it’s pretty expensive. Affectionately known as “smashed avo on toast” this typical brunch treat is basically a mashed avocado, drizzled with lemon juice and seasoned with herbs and salt and pepper. Adding lemon juice to the mixture helps prevent oxidisation, so you can always prepare it hours before without the avocado browning. Here is a recipe I trialled at home with the addition of creamy feta. It’s a perfect light brunch option and doesn’t weigh you down like a heavy fry up. If you feel like something a bit more substantial, just add a side of mushrooms, tomatoes or a poached egg.
You will need
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 cup of good quality feta
- A generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Sourdough bread
- Chopped parsley or mint to garnish
1. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl, mashing it lightly with a fork. Add lemon juice, cumin and salt and pepper and mix until well combined.
2. Cut two thick slices of sourdough and toast until slightly golden. Top the toast with the mashed avocado mix and crumbled feta. Garnish with fresh parsley or mint and season further if required.