There’s something especially decadent about red velvet cupcakes. The sumptuous treat is a devilish mix of deep red sponge, a hint of chocolate and a generous dollop of velvety cream cheese frosting. It’s the perfect recipe for a gift, special occasion or just to enjoy with a cup of tea in the afternoon.
You will need
1 1/4 cups of plain flour (sifted)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
3/4 cups of granuated sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk or a mix of natural yoghurt and milk (3/4 to 1/4 ratio)
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting:
300g icing sugar (sifted)
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g cream cheese (cold)
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. Place 12 cupcake cases into a muffin tin.
2. Sift together the plain flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
3. Beat the butter until light and fluffy then add the sugar and beat well. Add the egg, vanilla essence and mix well.
4. Add the flour mix and buttermilk gradually and mix well in between additions. Then add the red food colouring.
5. Combine the vinegar and baking soda until it fizzes then gently fold into the cake mixture.
6. Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases, filling them to approximately 2/3 full. Bake in the oven for 18 – 25 minutes. Cool cupcakes for 10 minutes then transfer from muffin tray to cool completely.
7. To make the cream cheese frosting beat the icing sugar and butter together until well mixed. Add the cream cheese and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
8. When the sponges have completely cooled add the cream cheese using a small spatula. You can also use a piping bag for the icing but I prefer the “rustic” look. Use one of the cupcakes to create crumbs to sprinkle over the cupcake.
Makes approximately 12 cupcakes.
I hope you enjoy 🙂