Nothing beats a spicy cup of mulled wine to warm your cockles this winter. This easy recipe uses classic Christmas ingredients to deliver a crowd pleasing tipple, perfect for any festive occasion.
You will need
- 1 bottle of fruity red wine
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of sugar – I prefer soft muscavado sugar
- 1 tablespoon of whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Star anise (optional)
1. Pour the wine into a small saucepan and heat gently.
2. Slice the oranges and lemon and add to the wine mixture, gently squeezing slightly to release their juices.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir well until sugar has completely dissolved. Bring to the boil then simmer slowly for 5 minutes to release all the spicy flavours. Depending on the quality of the wine, add more sugar to taste.
4. Strain and serve in heat proof glasses.
I hope you enjoy! What winter warmers are you preparing this festive season?