I’m always a big fan of baked eggs on a breakfast menu but until now I have never tried making them at home. While in Daylesford last week, I found the cutest collection of cast iron pots which are just perfect for a dish like this.
The greatest thing about this baked chilli eggs recipe is its versatility. Almost anything can be added to this dish – like some spicy chorizo, goats cheese or even some house made beans. And it is really adaptable for different diets. You can also spice up your tomato sauce by adding other ingredients you have on hand like curry or chilli powder.
It may take a little longer than your average scrambled or hard boiled eggs but, trust me, it’s worth it. Of course a side of toast is mandatory for mopping up all the delicious sauce.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- 400ml tin of crushed tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of toast
- A small handful of fresh basil
- Feta Cheese
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Grease two oven-safe baking dishes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over low – medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until soft and translucent then add salt, chilli flakes and garlic and stir well. Add tomatoes and bring to the boil then simmer for 8 – 10 minutes until thick. Adjust seasoning according to taste.
- Pour the sauce between two baking dishes. Make two small dips in the sauce and and gently crack an egg into each one.
- Bake in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes until the eggs are done to your liking.
- Scatter with basil leaves and feta and serve with toast.
Happy brunching! Hope you enjoy my baked chilli eggs.
Adapted from Minimalist Baker.