Italian for ‘pick me up’, tiramisu is my go to dessert when I am craving a simple comfort food. This Italian treat is a luxurious blend of coffee-soaked savoiardi layered with creamy mascarpone, finally topped with a heavy sprinkling of cocoa. Ideally, this super easy dessert should be made the night before to leave the fine flavours to seamlessly blend together.
You will need
- 350ml of strong espresso coffee – cooled to room temperature
- 6 tablespoons of marsala
- 1 tablespoon of icing sugar
- 300 grams savoiardi (sponge fingers)
- 2 large eggs (use 2 yolks and only one egg white)
- 75 grams of caster sugar
- 500 grams of mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- Combine the espresso with the marsala in a bowl. Add a tablespoon of icing sugar if you prefer the coffee mix sweeter. Place the sponge fingers into the liquid for 2 seconds each side until damp. Take them out of he liquid before they go too soggy then line the bottom of a square 22cm dish with a layer of the sponge fingers.
- Separate the eggs. Lightly whisk the yolks and the caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the mascarpone to the mix and mix well until it is creamy and thick.
- Whisk the egg white and gently fold into the mixture.
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the sponge fingers.
- Add another layer of soaked sponge fingers and top with the remaining mixture.
- Dust cocoa powder over the top of the dish, then place in fridge to rest overnight.